Friday, June 6, 2014

My Year Working for the Hopkins-Nanjing Center

HNC Admissions Coordinator Sallie Ly reflects on her year in the Hopkins-Nanjing Center Office of International Admissions:

It has been about a year since I began working for the Hopkins-Nanjing Center and the time has flown by. It's been an exciting year working for an institution with such unique programs and students. As the academic year comes to an end, today I'm looking back on my journey at the Washington Support Office in 2013-2014.

My role as the new Admissions Coordinator at the HNC started with a trip to Nanjing. I visited the HNC campus, attended the 2013 commencement ceremony, and mingled with students to familiarize myself with the Center. On the way back from Nanjing to the US, I had an opportunity to visit Beijing for the first time.
During my first week of working for the HNC, I met the unofficial mascot of Hopkins-Nanjing Center, Thomas Mao

Me at the Great Wall for the first time!
Following my return, I dove right into preparations for the fall recruiting season. Then came the fun part, recruiting! In two months, I visited over 50 schools including my Alma mater, Michigan State University. Also, in the fall I tied the knot and changed my last name from Sallie You to Sallie Ly!

Visiting the Spartan Stadium during my visit to my Alma mater, Michigan State University
Last year, the HNC started using the STAMP proficiency exam as the official Chinese language proficiency test so all of us on the HNC admissions team familiarized ourselves with the new test. As fall came and went, the Admissions Office read and processed applications to select the incoming class for the 2014-2015 academic year. In February, we took a break from reading applications to celebrate the Chinese New Year with a wonderful reception with students, alumni and friends.

At the Chinese New Year Reception 
In March, during my vacation to visit family, I recruited at some of the top universities in South Korea - you can read more about my trip here!
We welcomed Chinese Co-director He in 2013 and this summer, we will be welcoming our new American co-director Dr. Cornelius Kubler . We will also say good bye to our current American co-director, Jason Patent.

Looking back on 2013-2014, there have been lots of changes. I'm very excited to see what my second year at the HNC Washington Support Office will bring!