- Application form
- Statement of Purpose
- Additional essays (for MAIS and HNC Certificate/SAIS MA applicants only)
- Letters of Recommendation
- Résumé or CV
- Official transcript(s)
- Non-refundable application fee of $85
- Chinese language test (STAMP) score
- GRE or GMAT (MAIS and HNC Certificate/SAIS MA applicants only)
- TOEFL or IELTS (non-native English speakers only)
- The early notification deadline is November 1. To be considered for financial aid and fellowships, students need to submit the financial aid application and FASFA by November 1.
- The application deadline and financial aid deadline for all HNC programs is February 1.
We encourage applicants to submit their applications early, if possible, so that we will have time to send notification of missing materials. Students should take the GRE (if applicable) before mid-January so that scores arrive to the Washington Office before the deadline.
Please go to the Apply Now section of the website to begin the application process.
Applicants will be notified of admissions decisions by late March. Those who are accepted and who intend to enroll must submit a non-refundable matriculation fee of $500 by April 21 to reserve their place. Orientation materials for the Hopkins-Nanjing Center will be sent by June 1.
Checklist for Applying to the HNC
- Take the STAMP Chinese Proficiency Exam..
- If you are applying for the MAIS or HNC Certificate/SAIS MA, take the GRE or GMAT. Use the SAIS code of 5610-0000 when requesting official GRE scores (or the code KGB-GX-99 when requesting GMAT scores).
- Two letters of recommendation are required, and the best way to submit recommendations is through our online application system. Applicants may register recommenders online, and the application system will communicate with them directly to ensure secure delivery of the recommendation. If a recommender does not wish to use the online system, he or she may mail the recommendation to us in a sealed envelope or fax it directly to 202.663.7729. You may submit at most one letter of recommendation from a Chinese language instructor. The second letter should speak to other aspects of your academic and professional career.
- Request official transcripts from any institutions at which you've taken undergraduate or graduate-level courses and have them mailed to the Washington Support Office.
- Complete the online application form and essay(s).
- Complete the financial aid application form. (Optional)
- Pay the non-refundable $85 application fee.