Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Meet the 2019-2020 Student Bloggers in Nanjing

Meet our new student bloggers in Nanjing! Brandy Darling, Will Putzier, and Amanda Walencewicz will be sharing their experiences studying and living at the Hopkins-Nanjing Center (HNC) throughout the academic year.

Brandy Darling, HNC Certificate ’20 + Johns Hopkins SAIS MA ’21

Hi! My name is Brandy Darling and I am a Certificate student at the HNC. I plan to pursue the Johns Hopkins SAIS MA after earning my HNC Certificate, concentrating in International Economics and International Political Economy. This past May, I graduated from Connecticut College with a BA in Economics and East Asian studies, and a Certificate in International Studies and the Liberal Arts.

I began studying Chinese in high school eight years ago; I learned about the HNC during my junior year of high school when I visited China the first time. That summer, I studied Chinese in Shanghai, met American professionals in China and visited different cities such as Nanjing and Hangzhou. After the summer before my senior year of high school, I realized two things: one, that I wanted to be a Foreign Service Officer with the U.S. Department of State; and two, that I would receive my graduate degree from Johns Hopkins University.

This semester, my favorite class is Injustices, Discrimination, and Group Identity which includes both Chinese and international students. In my free time, I love to try new restaurants near campus, attend guest lectures, and make Chinese friends. The Chinese students on campus are very nice and are willing to show you different ways to enjoy your time in China. I look forward to working for admissions this year and being a helping hand to students interested in the HNC. I also love to blog, so I hope you enjoy!


Will Putzier, HNC Certificate ’20 + Johns Hopkins SAIS MA ’21

Hi All! My name is Will Putzier, and I am a Certificate student at the HNC. I am originally from Salina, Kansas, and received undergraduate degrees in Finance and East Asian Languages and Cultures from the University of Kansas in 2016. I began studying Chinese in college and have previously studied in Beijing and Tianjin.

Prior to the HNC Certificate program, I worked as a consultant in New York City. After working for a few years, I decided to pursue a career in policy. I chose the HNC because of the opportunity to learn about Chinese policy in the classroom, while immersing myself in Chinese society outside of the classroom. I am excited to learn from my Chinese professors and engage with Chinese society during an interesting period in US-China relations. This semester I am taking four courses: Chinese Government and Politics, Social Issues of China’s Modernization, Contemporary Chinese Foreign Policy, and Financial Crises.

Besides classes, I plan to be involved in several extracurricular activities and opportunities in and around the HNC. These include weekly volunteer teaching at a local elementary school, informal yoga sessions on the terrace, and exploring restaurants and coffee shops around campus.

Through this blog I hope I can provide useful insights as you consider the HNC and navigate the application process.


Amanda Walencewicz, HNC Certificate ’20

Hi! My name is Amanda Walencewicz, and I’m a Certificate student here at the HNC. I’m originally from Detroit, where I began studying Chinese in high school. I graduated from Tufts University in 2017 with majors in Chinese and International Literary and Visual Studies. I studied abroad at Tufts’ programs in Hangzhou and Hong Kong, and wrote my thesis on Chinese and French new wave cinema.

I first heard about the HNC from a coworker at the National Committee on U.S.-China Relations, where I worked after graduating from Tufts. I’m planning to attend a PhD program back in the U.S. next fall, so HNC was a perfect fit to improve my Chinese skills and get reacquainted with China, since the last time I was here was 2015. I’ve already noticed my Chinese improving from the constant practice I get every day, between readings for class, listening to professors, and speaking to my roommate.

This semester I am taking three classes in Chinese (China’s Development and Environment, Chinese Government and Politics, and Contemporary Chinese Film, Society, and Culture) and one in English (International Humanitarian Law). My previous studies of China have always been from a humanities perspective, not social sciences, so I am especially eager to learn more about the political system and environmental issues in China.

I’m excited to contribute to the blog and assist with HNC admissions this year!