Monday, October 14, 2019

First Impressions of the Hopkins-Nanjing Center

As I prepared to head to the Hopkins-Nanjing Center (HNC) this September, I thought back to some of the daily realities of my experiences as a student in China. This included the regular ritual of trekking to buy jugs of Nongfu Spring water, attempting to workout in crowded university gyms, and wet bathroom floors hours after my roommate or I showered. To be sure, these were minor inconveniences, but arriving at the HNC and realizing these issues were solved was a delightful surprise.

The HNC’s amenities are an undersold aspect of the program, and these have defined my daily routine. As an avid coffee drinker, I live by my French press for morning coffee. Using the HNC’s filtered drinking water and ice machine, I am able to enjoy homemade cold brew every morning.

Once I have poured my coffee, the courtyard and three rooftop terraces are excellent spots to relax and read before class. I have heard autumn in Nanjing is the best, so I will definitely be taking advantage of these amenities as long as possible. Once it gets closer to winter, the library is spacious and a comfortable spot to study.

The fifth-floor terrace is a peaceful spot to enjoy a book.

A personal goal of mine this year is to exercise regularly. From my previous experience in China, long walks to packed gyms make skipping exercise too easy. Fortunately, the HNC has its own small gym that has strength training necessities, along with yoga mats and other miscellaneous exercise items. It’s also great to breathe easy knowing the HNC’s air filtration system ensures I’m not harming my health while I exercise.

The HNC gym in the morning.

When a study break is in order, there are plenty of activities to take part in. Students use WeChat groups to organize activities in the HNC and around campus. The HNC has its own basketball court, ping pong and pool tables, and students often play console games in the gaming room.

I enjoy a nice shower after a long day. The western-style showers have dividers to block water from flooding the entire bathroom, so mopping up the water (or leaving it to dry) is not necessary. During my last study abroad in China, my roommate or I had clothes hang-drying in the room at any given time. The HNC’s dryer units make laundry much more bearable.

The amenities of the HNC were a pleasant surprise to me. These conveniences have allowed me to focus more time on studying and other, more enjoyable experiences while here in China.

Written by William Putzier, HNC Certificate ’20 + Johns Hopkins SAIS MA ‘21