Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Meet the Spring 2024 Banwei

During the first week of class in the spring 2024 semester, Hopkins-Nanjing Center students gathered to elect their student representatives, a group of four students known as the Banwei (班委) who serve for one-semester terms. Cheng Rui, Yan Yixin, Sophie Kelley, and Nathaniel Fousek were selected to drive this new blossoming semester.

Meet the Spring 2024 Banwei

(left to right) Nathaniel, Yixin, Sophie, and Rui

成瑞 Cheng Rui (MAIS 2024)
From Nantong, Jiangsu, Rui majored in international economics and trade at Nanjing University and is concentrating on energy, recourses, and environment at the HNC. Rui is the Nanjing Bureau Chief for the SAIS Observer and was a 2022-2023 Nanjing Scholar at SAIS DC. 

严翌昕 Yan Yixin (MAIS 2025)
Born and raised in Xiamen, Fujian, Yixin studied Korean at Nanjing University and studied abroad at Korea University. At the HNC, she is concentrating on international politics.

Nathaniel Fousek (MAIS 2024)
From Austin, Texas, Nathaniel graduated from the University of Texas at Austin with a major in computer science. Upon graduation, Nathaniel served as a U.S. Peace Corps volunteer in Guiyang, China before coming to the Hopkins-Nanjing Center. At the HNC, Nathaniel is pursuing dual concentrations in energy, resources, and environment and China studies.

Sophie Kelley (MAIS 2025)
Originally from California, Sophie graduated from Willamette University in 2020 with a bachelor's in Chinese studies, which is also her concentration at the Hopkins-Nanjing Center. Fun fact, when she is stressed or procrastinating, she often cleans the student lounge.

Rui
Why did you choose to come to the HNC?
Cheng Rui: Due to the proximity between Nanjing University's business school and the Hopkins-Nanjing Center, I learned much about HNC's interdisciplinary research focuses, resourceful networks, and inclusive culture. Another reason for me to come to HNC is the energy, resources, and environment concentration, which is unique among international relations programs in China, and aligns well with my academic interests and career goals. 

Yan Yixin: After discovering my interest in international relations, I chose related courses through NJU during my undergraduate studies. Because of these courses, I got to know many HNC students who enjoyed the atmosphere and experience of the program and recommended me to go for further study. So I wanted to come and explore the charm of the HNC.

Sophie Kelley: During the pandemic, like many other new graduates at the time, I had difficulty finding a job or direction. My Chinese professors at Willamette University are very strong advocates for HNC programs, so I decided to come to Nanjing to gain more in-country experience and use the language in the classroom on topics I'm interested in.

Nathaniel Fousek: I have always been very interested in studying Chinese language and culture, and my previous two experiences living in China inspired me to study international relations. I’m also quite interested in environmental protection and clean energy, so coming to the HNC and taking classes in the ERE concentration offered the best of both worlds: learning about environmental policy in a Chinese context and further developing my language skills. 

Yixin
What inspired you to join this semester’s Banwei?
Cheng Rui: Having gone through the pandemic era at HNC, I am inspired by how the Banwei have restored the vibrance of our HNC community over the last two semesters. Also, after spending one year at SAIS DC, I felt that HNC (the smallest SAIS campus) needs more representation in the greater SAIS community. I want to foster communication between HNC students and students from other SAIS campuses.

Yan Yixin: I want to cherish every moment at the HNC. I would like to see how much value I can create in the two years that I have here, and how many fun, unforgettable memories we can create for this community as Banwei. Besides, the support of my friends also encouraged me a lot.

Sophie Kelley: After being involved with several student events last semester, some classmates suggested that I run. I also wanted to try to create a Banwei transition guide and events records, and obviously becoming a Banwei myself would help with data collection.

Nathaniel Fousek: This is my last semester at the HNC, and quite possibly the last semester I will spend as a student for the rest of my life. This program has been incredibly meaningful to me, and I guess I see being Banwei as giving back to this community that has become such an important part of my life. I think the potential the HNC has to bring people together and create long lasting connections and friendships across cultures is unlike any other graduate program in the world, and as Banwei I hope to make the most of that potential through organizing fun events, excursions, and discussions for our community. 

Sophie
What goals do you have for the spring semester?
Cheng Rui: This spring semester, I aim to work with the other Banwei members to facilitate events and interest groups in the center and create great memories for our fellow classmates. I also aim to build better connections between HNC students and SAIS through events and cooperation with entities like the SAIS China Club, SAIS Publication Society, and SAIS SGA. 

Yan Yixin: It may be a little blue, but the spring semester means it is some students' last semester. One of my goals is to open up deeper conversations with more students, because leaving something in each other’s mind and heart through deep conversations is extremely meaningful to me.

Sophie Kelley: I am looking forward to securing a summer internship that hopefully involves art or design. I am also looking forward to working with the yearbook committee and putting my design skills to use.

Nathaniel Fousek: I’m hoping we can revive some of the spring-semester traditions I’ve heard about from previous years, like the HNC Talent Show and live music nights. In addition, I think setting up HNC discussion groups for things like literature and music could facilitate greater cultural exchange and also be a great opportunity for people to make friends and find people with similar tastes. On top of that, I’m hoping we can have some amazing holiday parties and some HNC excursions outside of Nanjing.

Nathaniel
Other than your Banwei responsibilities, what are you looking forward to this year?
Cheng Rui: As a graduating student, my priority for this semester is to finish my thesis and graduate. I’m also looking forward to bonding with my classmates and enjoying my last few months as a student. 

Yan Yixin: In addition to my studies, I want to spend some of my time and energy developing my personal interest in fashion and clothing. One of my future ambitions is to have my own boutique store, so for that goal I need to find my way and do the pre-accumulation.

Sophie Kelley: Despite this being my third time studying in China, this is my first spring here. It'll be nice to see how the weather changes and to see the flowers bloom. 

Nathaniel Fousek: This semester I’m looking forward to the continuation of our HNC Dungeons and Dragons campaign, bringing in new players, and hopefully holding our first Chinese language DND session. I look forward to long nights in the HNC Student lounge painstakingly improving my watercolor painting skills, losing a game of 象棋 to everyone at the HNC, and maybe getting a Quiz Bowl toss-up question right. Once I get my thesis finished up, I’m looking forward to crossing the last few locations off my China-travel bucket list.


Compiled and edited by Sam Trizza, Certificate+MAIR 2025