Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Student Perspectives: Adjusting to Life in China

Adjusting to life in China has ups and downs. Most everyone experiences some sort of culture shock and adjustment period when coming to a new country, and for HNC students it’s no different. In this post, students Alexandra Yarashevich (HNC Certificate ’24), Jacqualine Asuquo (MAIS ’24), and Peter Burds (MAIS ’25) talk about their experiences adjusting to life in China.

How was your experience adjusting to life in China?

Alexandra: It was very smooth, especially at the HNC, since they’re used to having international students come here and adjust to life. It went very smoothly, but of course, there were some difficulties, like the health checks and applying for the resident permit. However, the arrival guide that Deputy Co-Director John Urban continues to update was very comprehensive. Students generally go through the same process at the same time, so the transition time is as smooth as it can be.

Peter: The language has been one of the hardest parts for me, but otherwise it has been very good. It has been nice to have people around and be in a community, especially with how hospitable the Chinese students have been. The visa process was troublesome, however, altogether it has been a good experience. Before coming to the HNC I had been traveling out of the U.S. for a few months, so I already had some time to adjust to many difficulties of being abroad, which other students may not have had.

What are some culture shocks you experienced when coming to China?

Alexandra
Alexandra: I didn’t really experience many culture shocks, maybe because Nanjing is a bigger city and there’s a lot of international students in the area. People are more used to westerners here than in smaller cities in China. Additionally, I was also pretty familiar with Chinese culture already because I worked at a Chinese restaurant back in the U.S., and my bosses helped me prepare to come to China, so when I eventually arrived, there wasn’t much that I encountered that I wasn’t expecting.

Peter: I would say the culture shocks I had were very similar to the ones I had from being in Vietnam earlier this year. One of the biggest adjustments was the language, because I realized that no matter how good my Chinese was before coming here, I was still going to have issues communicating with people. Additionally, I’d say China’s traffic is very different from the U.S.—the best way to put it is organized chaos. Lastly, it was surprising how international China is, which I feel is a bit different from what I experienced in Vietnam. Many people get this idea that China is closed off from the west, but when you go out and into malls it was familiar to what I encountered in the U.S., which I was not necessarily prepared for when coming here.

Jacqualine: I experienced a lot of different culture shocks. One example is the toilet paper—in Taiwan, the toilet paper comes in the square sheets, so I thought it would be the same here in mainland China. So, when I came here, I just grabbed the square sheets—turns out that’s tissue, and they use the rolls just like we do in the U.S. I was out with some classmates, and they just asked me what I was doing buying the square sheets, and that’s when I realized my mistake.

Another culture shock that I experienced is that people don’t say “bless you” to others sneezing here. It’s actually embarrassing for others to recognize that you sneezed. I remember one time somebody sneezed, and I said, “bless you,” and then immediately realized and said, “wait, sorry!” They realized that it was an automatic response for me and said that it was okay, but I still felt embarrassed for mentioning their sneeze.

Peter
How have you adjusted to Chinese culture?

Peter: I have mainly tried to immerse myself into the culture in enjoyable ways, so it isn’t as overwhelming. In class, we often talk about political topics like the Chinese government system, which is a little overwhelming and a rough way to adapt. So I decided to join some fun activities, like the calligraphy classes the HNC offers as well as the Toastmasters interest group. I’ve also tried to make friends in order to adapt and build more of an emotional connection with the culture, rather than being in shock all the time.

Jacqualine: It’s been a slow process. I feel like every day has been a new adventure adjusting to Chinese culture. I specifically go on walks sometimes and just go in a different direction to explore various parts of Nanjing so that China becomes more of a home to me. That way I feel like I’m a part of the culture. All in all, being outside of just the HNC community has really helped me with adjusting to living here.

How has your experience been when it comes to interacting with Chinese and other international students?

Alexandra: Everyone here is very familiar, and since the program is small and we all have roughly the same interests, there’s been a lot of opportunities for communication and interaction among Chinese and international students. It feels like a very open and positive community here. I haven’t had any issues making friends here, likely because everyone has similar interests and we’re all in a new environment where making friends is priority for everyone, so all in all I’ve had a great experience.

What is some advice you would give to prospective students who plan to attend the HNC in the future?

Jacqualine
Alexandra: Familiarize yourself with the Chinese culture and language as much as you can before you come here. The more you know, the more fulfilling your experience will be at the HNC and in China. Of course, there will be lots of opportunities to learn about the Chinese culture and language when you get here. Even in the U.S. there are a lot of opportunities to interact with Chinese culture, so talk to Chinese people and get their opinions about studying in China before coming here as well.

Peter: I would say to spend a lot of time studying Chinese. I spent two months studying Chinese very intensively over the summer, and I nearly doubled my vocabulary over that time. If I had not done that, I feel like I would be having a much more difficult time now. Therefore, I would say to increase your Chinese level as much as you can before coming here—you can’t overdo it. While it is fairly easy to familiarize yourself with your new major once coming here, understanding all of the Chinese is likely to be the most difficult part.

Jacqualine: As a foreigner, the key to being in China is taking things slowly but surely. Everything’s an adjustment. You will learn how to buy things, how to use the subway, etc.—small things that you’re used to doing in your home country. Also, make sure to bring things you think you might not be able to get here or that you have preferences about, like deodorant or soap. Clothes also may not fit here if you’re plus-sized, so make sure to bring a coat and other clothing essentials.

While these things may seem overwhelming at first, just keep trying. Try to talk to people in Chinese as much as possible even if they can’t fully understand you. Try to explore the community as much as possible. Try to go outside as often as possible. In the end, just try to enjoy yourself and you will be able adjust.

Compiled by Savannah Glaves, MAIS '25. Edited by Sam Trizza, Cert+MAIR '25.