Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Student Profile: Benjamin Sinvany

Name: Benjamin Sinvany

Program: Master of Arts in International Studies ’20

Hometown: Columbus, Ohio

Undergraduate Institution and Major: Emory ’15, History Major



How did you become interested in China?
I started studying Chinese in middle school. In early high school I took a field trip to China with my class. We visited the Terra Cotta Warriors, silk factories, artisanal places, and did a lot of super touristy, but fun activities. One of my best memories is fighting over dumplings with my classmates. My Chinese teacher told me about the School Year Abroad China program, which gives high school students a chance to study abroad for a year. I spent nine months living with a host family and took 12 hours of Chinese class a week. I also did the Princeton in Beijing program and worked as a teaching assistant at a study abroad program after college.

Could you tell us about the article you had published recently?
I published an article in the Journal of Chinese Military History called “Notes on the Invention of the First Gun: Conflict and Innovation in the Song Warring States Period (960-1279).” As the title suggests, the article traces the origin of the gun. This article was developed from a long-term project researching the military history of the Song Warring States period. One part of my research was to travel to different museums around China to locate the earliest known gun.  

What encouraged you to apply to the Hopkins-Nanjing Center and what have you enjoyed the most?
I am interested in how and why things happen (human development), including questions of power and marginalization. I remember thinking in 2008 that China was going to be the next big thing, and now it is increasingly important in terms of researching human development trends. After teaching in China, I wanted to stay in China and eventually apply to a PhD program in the U.S. I decided the best way to do this was to apply first to a graduate school that gave me the opportunity to spend two years in China. One of my favorite experiences at the Hopkins-Nanjing Center was the spring student research trip to Heilongjiang with the China on the Border class. On this trip, I had real conversations with Chinese classmates and heard from classmates who are quieter in class. This trip was also a great way to engage in intellectual conversations with students outside of the Hopkins-Nanjing Center. I think a different level of intelligence comes out in these conversations that may not always come out in the classroom.

What extracurricular activities are you involved in?
On campus, I am involved in the philosophy student group. Every Sunday we have great, engaging conversations on a range of topics chosen by the students. I started going to a nearby skate park at the beginning of the year and made some friends there, so I continue to go back and skate frequently. I thought people at the Hopkins-Nanjing Center would also be interested, so I started a skate club here. We’ve had five or six sessions so far. I also attend a lot of the lectures that happen multiple times a week at the Hopkins-Nanjing Center.

What is your favorite place in Nanjing?

It’s hard to choose. I really like Purple Mountain. One of my favorite places on Purple Mountain is Zixia Lake, which is nice for outdoor swimming, especially on a hot day. There are also so many parks and green spaces around Nanjing that are pretty. Actually, Nanjing University’s Gulou campus is also very pretty and conveniently close to the Hopkins-Nanjing Center. Because it’s the older campus, it has a lot of old and historic buildings, and a lot of greenery. Probably my favorite thing to do in Nanjing is to skate around exploring new places. I get to explore and see a different side of China more intimately than just as a tourist who’s in Nanjing for a day or a week.

Interviewed by Cady Deck, Certificate ’19