Monday, August 26, 2019

Alumni Profile: Cecilia Joy-Pérez

Cecilia Joy-Pérez, Certificate ’16, uses her Chinese language skills and economics background in her role as an analyst in Washington, DC.

Tell us about your career.
After graduating from the Hopkins-Nanjing Center, I moved to Washington, DC, to work in public policy. My first job ended up across the street from Johns Hopkins SAIS as a research assistant in demographics and political economy at the American Enterprise Institute (AEI). At AEI, I contributed to the Chinese Global Investment Tracker (CGIT), the only database of Chinese construction and investment worldwide.

My individual research focuses on the Belt and Road Initiative. Talk about the commercial footprint of the Belt and Road Initiative is wildly often overhyped, without being based in clear data. Motivated to bring facts into the conversation, I used the CGIT to quantify the Belt and Road Initiative. 

Currently, I am working as an analyst at Pointe Bello, a research and advisory firm. My aim is to continue to follow the overseas activities of Chinese companies and understand China’s macroeconomic conditions to offer a fact-based take on China’s future.

How did your experience at the Hopkins-Nanjing Center prepare you for this career?
Much like my time at the Hopkins-Nanjing Center, my career has consisted of reading Chinese, running regressions, and drinking coffee. At the Hopkins-Nanjing Center, I brought my Chinese to the level where I could use it to conduct independent research. Secondly, I honed my quantitative analysis skills by taking statistics and econometrics classes taught by Nanjing faculty. These hard skills were what helped me get my foot in the door.

Additionally, I met a group of like-minded individuals with a passion for improving the US-China relationship. Unsurprisingly, many of my peers have now become my colleagues. Surrounding myself with such driven China watchers is a great motivator. Nowadays, we often link up to discuss policy issues or simply to catch up. 

What drew you to apply to the Hopkins-Nanjing Center?
I applied to join the crop of students that will lead the next generation of China watchers. I originally heard about the program through Professor Ma Zhao, a professor of East Asian Studies at Washington University in St. Louis, where I was his student. Afterwards, I learned of the history of the Hopkins-Nanjing Center and the integral role it played in U.S.-China relations. For decades it has trained leaders on both sides and encouraged academic and people-to-people exchanges. These attributes, combined with the rigor of a Chinese language graduate program, perfectly matched my goals to both improve my language skills and build up my China expertise.

How often do you use Chinese in your current position or other skills you gained while studying at the Hopkins-Nanjing Center?

I use my Chinese language skills all the time, mostly for conducting research and occasionally to chat with friends. I also use my quantitative skills to conduct econometrics and financial analysis.  

What was your most memorable moment when you were studying in Nanjing?
The Hopkins-Nanjing Center outfitted a team for the Dragon Boat Festival competition in 2016. While I was not on the boat, I was on stage cheering the team on as part of the cheer squad. After a full-on collision with another boat and a couple of hard fought races, our team came in third place. That day, all of the Hopkins-Nanjing Center community, including the professors, were out there supporting our team and taking part in the Chinese holiday.

What advice would you give to future Hopkins-Nanjing Center students?
Consider taking an intensive summer course before starting at the Hopkins-Nanjing Center (regardless of whether or not you need it), or at least be sure to keep up studies on your own over the summer. It can make your class participation a lot easier. Additionally, make sure you are regularly speaking Chinese with your Chinese friends and classmates.

Secondly, budget in time and money to travel in China and in the region. The Hopkins-Nanjing Center is a wonderful place, but there is so much going on outside of it. Go explore!