Thursday, May 16, 2019

Student Profile: Hilde Marie Moholth

Name: Hilde Marie Moholth

Program: Hopkins-Nanjing Center Certificate + Johns Hopkins SAIS MAIA

Hometown: Kongsberg, Norway

Undergraduate Institution and Major: Chinese University of Hong Kong, Contemporary China Studies (Bachelor of Social Science BSSC)

Tell us about your background and how you became interested in China.
I had a vague interest in all things related to Asia when I was a child. Through a high school exchange, I ended up in Hong Kong. I had decided that if I were to study abroad, I would go somewhere really different. I returned to Norway to finish high school, did a year of engineering, and then did a gap year to study Chinese martial arts and Chinese language. After high school, I went to live and study in a tiny village in the west of Norway, where there was a school for students who had finished high school but did not want to start university yet. I met a couple who had gone to 北京体育大学 (Beijing Sport University) and did 武术 (Wushu). They taught us Chinese and martial arts and then we went to China together. While I was there, I decided that I really missed Hong Kong and wanted to go back, so I applied to the Chinese University of Hong Kong, got in, and it was great!

What encouraged you to apply to the Hopkins-Nanjing Center?
I’m interested in working for the Norwegian government, either for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or someplace where I can actually use my interest in China in a productive way. So, after college, I considered what type of education I could do that would qualify me for that work. I did an internship at the consulate in Guangzhou, where I learned a lot about foreign policy. My time there inspired me to continue developing the skills I used there in writing reports. I wanted to attain the skills and knowledge necessary to do analytical policy work with confidence. I looked at different international studies and diplomacy related programs, and then I talked to my adviser, who recognized my background in China and said that Johns Hopkins SAIS would be good for that field, so I applied.

How was your experience adjusting to the Chinese coursework? Do you have any tips for future students? 
The first semester was pretty intense. I reached a certain point where I realized that I probably cannot fully read all of my readings word for word, but I can do my best. It was helpful to accept that as a reality of studying here. Around midterms, I felt like I had it under control. This semester, because of the classes I chose, the workload is significantly less. Last semester I had four essay-based courses, but this semester I only have three essay-based courses and one with a midterm, so it doesn’t feel as stressful. There was definitely a transition period where I was stressing about my coursework, but it passed. I noticed that when I actually take the time to translate the things I don’t understand, I improve the most, and it helps me read faster later.

What has been one or two of your favorite classes this year?
How can I pick? This semester I’m really enjoying my History and Philosophy of Law in China course.  Honestly, the class is difficult at times, but the teacher is super knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the topic. It involves history and the philosophy behind the legal system, which I find really interesting. It’s fun to compare what we learn in class with how I’ve seen the legal system portrayed in the historical dramas that I enjoy watching. I really enjoyed my Chinese Anthropology class last semester as well. It had a lot of reading, but I felt like I learned a lot through the readings and the class discussions. It was not a lecture-based class, and it had a different feel compared to courses that were mainly lectures.

How has your experience been living in a bilingual community?
Sometimes it’s a little bit confusing because I’ll be talking with my roommate and we’ll both be speaking Chinese, and then suddenly we’ll switch to English, and then someone will answer in Chinese. There’s a constant back and forth in accordance with whether you can express an idea in the language you are using. If you want to improve your Chinese, it’s definitely a great environment because it’s not only about living here with Americans and people from other countries, but you are in China, which gives you lots of opportunities to speak Chinese.

If you are involved in any extracurricular activities or student groups, could you please tell us about that?
I joined Moot Court. I had never had any law or debating experience before signing up for it. It sounded like fun because usually when I present, I trail off on a tangent and then I go over time, so I thought it would improve my public speaking. I would say it was probably the most stressful course or activity I did, but it was also very rewarding. We had the chance to go to Beijing and compete against actual law school students. I learned a lot and ended up writing a long paper on the same topic for my law course. It made me want to continue studying law while I’m here. I also joined my erhu class. Last semester I was pretty busy and had to miss some classes, but this semester I’ve gone to every lesson and I’m getting better. I can almost play on the entire instrument now. I’m really enjoying it—I have this dream of playing a duet in a park here. A friend in Hong Kong started playing recently too so hopefully it will be a reality soon.

You will be doing your second year at SAIS Europe. What made you decide to do a year each in Nanjing, China and Bologna, Italy?
There were several reasons. Overall, I wanted to experience additional cultures. Given that I’m aiming to do something in the Foreign Service or government-related in Norway, it’s just as useful to have a background in another European country as it is to have experience in the US. I’m extending my time in Bologna to a year so that I have a greater chance at improving my Italian because I don’t think I can learn Italian in half a year while simultaneously taking other courses. This will be my fifth year away from Europe and sometimes I don’t have the opportunity to go home for special occasions or because it’s too expensive. I am looking forward to visiting home and seeing my family more frequently. I’ve never been to Italy, and I’d love to have more experiences in other parts of Europe.

Do you have any advice for prospective students?
The Hopkins-Nanjing Center is a great place to come if you want to experience more of China and improve your Chinese skills, especially if you want the confidence to write papers or read more in Chinese. I came here because I really wanted to “bump up” my Chinese to the next level before I finished my time in China, and I can definitely do that here.

Interviewed by Hope Parker, Master of Arts in International Studies,’20