Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Favorite Things About the Hopkins-Nanjing Center

Emily Rivera (Certificate ‘18) shares thoughts from students, faculty, and administrators on their favorite things about the Hopkins-Nanjing Center.


Hi everyone! During the spring semester,  I went around asking students, faculty, and administrators a simple question: “What is your favorite thing about the Hopkins-Nanjing Center?” Here were some of their answers:

“My favorite thing is that while we all have a common love for China and international relations, there is a huge diversity of academic passion and knowledge.” – Taylore Roth (Certificate ‘18/SAIS MA ‘19)

“One of my favorite parts of the HNC is our library. It's the perfect place to go to for studying and has a really impressive collection of both English and Chinese books, which has been super helpful during my thesis research.” – Amanda Bogan (MAIS ‘19)

“Few people talk about their school the way we talk about the HNC. There is so much pride and unity here, a big sense of shared identity, which has made all of us unified and happy – I think that is the HNC spirit.” – 代攀红 (Certificate ‘18)

“There are, of course, many things that I love about the HNC. I think you might be surprised to learn that one of my favorite things is the elevator in the old building. I love that old elevator because every time I ride it I am reminded of its great symbolic value to the HNC. When the HNC building was built in the mid-1980s that was surely the only elevator in Nanjing in a building with fewer than six floors. Even today in China residential buildings below six stories high do not have elevators. At the time we needed a variance to install it!  To me it is a symbol of the care and investment that was made by Chinese and Americans in the construction of a comfortable and inviting place to study and learn.” – David J. Davies (Hopkins-Nanjing Center, American Co-Director)

“My favorite part about the HNC is the fact that classes are made up of both international students and Chinese students. During class discussions, it is so interesting to hear everyone’s differing perspectives across a wide variety of issues. I also love having a Chinese roommate. We have fun teaching each other commonly used words/phrases in our native language, as well as talking about those topics we don’t quite get to in the classroom.” – Emily Rivera (Certificate ‘18)

“One of my favorite things about HNC is that the Center provides students with research opportunities. This allows people to conduct and engage with first-hand research that exposes students to unique research topics related to China.” – Christian Flores (MAIS ‘19)

“I have met the best classmates with shared interests, shared hobbies, and from different countries.The HNC provides the best environment for study and research. I have also met the most kind and helpful professors.” – 陈明川 (Certificate ‘18)

“There are many rewarding aspects to being at the HNC, but if asked to give two I'd say I love sailing on Xuanwu Lake as part of Nanjing's Whisper the Wind Sailing Club (风之曲帆船俱乐部) and I enjoy sharing an office with Zhang Laoshi.” – Robert (Robbie) Shields (Hopkins-Nanjing Center, Career Counselor)

“My favorite thing is the diversity of the people I’ve met here, among both Chinese and international students.” – Maria Belen Wu (Certificate ‘18/SAIS MA ‘19)

“My best memories at the Center are not particularly grand moments. Rather the small daily moments – running into a friend in the hallway and sharing a knowing smile or sharing lunch on the yangtai with a group of friends – are the ones I'll remember once I leave the Center.” – April Cho (Certificate ‘18)

“My favorite thing about the HNC is hanging out with friends and chatting in different places. The international community we have at the HNC is the coolest thing I have ever experienced. My roommate is such a nice person and I love him! I also have made a lot of friends here during this year! The yangtai and the student lounge are my favorite places! I really like the HNC!” – 崔洋 (Certificate ‘18)

“Engaging in meaningful class discussions, hearing the different perspectives of my classmates, and studying complex problems in Mandarin, with both international and Chinese classmates.” – Guillermo Garcia Montenegro (Certificate ‘18/SAIS MA ‘19)

“I love the trees on campus. They are my favorite! I really love it when I can look out my window and see so many trees, especially if it is a nice day with the sunshine coming through the window and the trees, it looks really beautiful. I’ve taken so many pictures of them!” – 消玲 (Certificate ‘18)

“Teaching and learning never stop at the HNC, especially during lunch and when budding philosophers gather on Sunday nights with the Philosophy Discussion Interest Group.” – Professor Thomas Simon (Hopkins-Nanjing Center, Resident Professor of International Law)

“My favorite thing at the HNC is the yangtai hangout areas for students, they are very relaxing!” – Kimya Nia (Certificate ‘18/SAIS MIEF ‘19)

“I think the best thing at the HNC is that students have so many places to study, not only in the library or the classroom, but there are also study rooms downstairs in the dorm building and a 24-hour study room on the 5th floor. Students don't have to worry about finding a silent place to study. Usually in other Chinese universities, it's impossible to have so many options because there are more students than library seats. Another cool thing is that we have plenty of excellent students here to discuss with and interact with. Everyone who wants to improve in their targeted language can find countless opportunities. Plus, the HNC hosts various lectures, which aim to widen our horizons.” – 胡天 (Certificate ‘18)

“The library has a huge selection of interesting books and magazines to read.” – Mitchell (Mitch) Blatt (Certificate ‘18/SAIS MA ‘19)

“My favorite memory of the HNC is when I followed the international students in singing Christmas songs in the evening on Christmas Day. It was the first time I ever heard Christmas songs. Everyone clapped their hands and tapped the floor using their feet. I felt the world was peaceful. People all are happy. I am glad to see that the international students can live and study in China happily. We are one world, no matter who you are, or where you are from.” – 任庆川 (Certificate ‘18)

“My favorite part of the HNC is Professor Hua Tao (华涛老师). He is so accessible and always available to talk to students about anything they may need help with.” – Eliot Faust (Certificate ‘18/SAIS MA ‘19)

“My favorite thing at the HNC is the student lounge. In the lounge, we can have casual conversations, have some academic discussions, and hold various parties. What’s more, the HNC student-run coffee shop is there – everyone can enjoy a nice cup of coffee every morning in the lounge.” – 杨乐(Certificate ‘18)