Wednesday, January 24, 2018

HNC Roommates: An Interview with 肖玲

Student blogger Emily Rivera shares the HNC experience of her Chinese roommate:肖玲. 肖玲 describes her reasons for choosing the HNC, her thoughts on how HNC student groups and courses compare to Chinese universities, and her memories of her very first day at the HNC.

cross-cultural roomates
A very unique aspect of the Hopkins-Nanjing Center is the majority of international students and Chinese students get paired to live together as roommates. When I was completing a Chinese language intensive program in Beijing, I lived with an international student in an international student dorm, which is the norm for many study abroad programs in China. The focus of the HNC, however, is not only the improvement of your language skills while taking graduate level courses – the HNC places a large focus on cultural exchange as well. The HNC’s intercultural community, which stood apart to me from other graduate programs, is one of the reasons I chose to apply.

At the HNC the goal is to pair students with roommates who share similar interests and motivations. Most nights, my roommate and I discuss what we are learning in our respective classes – from America’s wealth gap to China’s rapid urbanization to universal equality. My roommate and I generally stick to our target language when communicating with one another. For example, I will ask her a question in Chinese and she will respond in English. We know it is also helpful to listen to a native person speak the language, so sometimes we trade off and have conversations entirely in Chinese or entirely in English. My roommate was happy to focus one night on today’s interview to help students better understand what the HNC experience is like for a Chinese student. See our exchange below:

Please introduce yourself.
My Chinese name is 肖玲 and my English name is Charlene. I am originally from Chongqing and I attended Wuhan University. I have studied English for 10 years.

Why did you decide to apply and to come to the HNC?

While I was at Wuhan University, my major was International Relations with a focus on Diplomacy. I wanted to focus on American studies and to continue to study the politics and foreign policy of America when I graduated. My Professor at Wuhan University encouraged me to apply. I did research on the HNC website and saw that it was partnered with Nanjing University. I decided to apply. I chose the HNC because I really wanted to not only practice my English, but to make exchanges with students from different backgrounds. I always look forward to hearing people’s viewpoints and am curious about their points. Sometimes you need to listen to someone with a different point of view.

What aspects of the HNC have you enjoyed so far?
Making friends with international students. I have never had an international roommate. Most of the international students are so energetic. I think you are all so very social and are easy to make friends with everyone. You reach out to the Chinese students and actively try to communicate with them. I really admire it. Sometimes some of us are very introverted and need someone to take the first step.

What has been your favorite memory so far at the HNC?
That first morning the cafeteria doors opened and everyone sat together eating for the first time, I remember it so clearly. I was so very touched when I saw the people in the dining hall, eating, laughing, and talking together. I thought to myself, people are so collected here and there is already so much 交流 (exchange). I was so shocked. I never thought I would see such exchange. It really showed me that there are no constraints due to our international borders or due to some perceived identity.

How do you like your classes so far?
I really enjoy my classes. My English courses are Ethics and Public Policy in Global Perspective, Comparative Foreign Policy and Global Energy Fundamentals. The HNC has a lot of courses. At universities in China, you can only choose courses that are for your major, but at the HNC you can take classes in international law, international politics, international economics, anthropology, etc. Taking classes at the HNC and taking classes at Chinese universities is also different. At Chinese universities, the teacher generally prepares a PPT and gives a lecture during class. Students only need to listen and follow the PPT. But at the HNC there are many different classes you can take. For example, we have mini-courses, seminar discussions, and lecture courses, all which usually require participation. I think this demands more from students, as the expectation to engage is higher. This also allows students to be academically stimulated and to grow in their thinking.

Besides your classes, how else does your HNC experience differ from your undergraduate experience?
Well, right now I am part of the ping pong group and the badminton group. Besides courses, I also think HNC’s student activities and organizations are great. For example, HNC groups generally are organized by the students. However, at universities in China, organizations are more officially organized. The relationship between the organizations and the schools seems more formal. But at the HNC, it isn’t like that. Most student activities are organized by the students and students choose to participate in the groups they like. Also, there are many diverse groups and activities you can join. I think this is really great.

What are your career goals?
In fact, right now my career goals are focused on media and communications. I would like to be a journalist, although this type of job can be very difficult. I will of course try to go for some other jobs, like in public relations or human resources. Before, I wanted to work in foreign affairs, but for that type of job you sometimes have to live abroad for 5-8 years, so I think it is a little difficult given the special atmosphere. I can accept to live or work abroad, maybe for 2-3 years, but not for that long a period. The jobs I am applying for now are both with international companies and Chinese companies. They all require that you speak English. There are several rounds for these jobs - I have to perform several online tests, interviews, and answer face-to-face questions.

Written by Emily Rivera