Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Financial Aid FAQs

HNC admissions representatives have been busy this fall traveling across the US and Canada, visiting Chinese classes and holding information sessions on college campuses.  To see if an admissions representative will be at a campus near you, check out our fall 2013 recruiting calendar.  In addition, HNC American Academic Coordinator Angela Chang has visited several universities and study abroad programs in China.  For more information on connecting with the HNC while in China, please contact us

Some of the most common questions we receive while recruiting are regarding financial aid.  Below you can find the answers to many of these questions but please do not hesitate to contact our office if you have any additional questions or concerns.

How do I qualify for financial aid?
To qualify for financial aid, please fill in the Financial Aid Application form included in the HNC application. American citizens must also submit the FAFSA online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. The HNC uses the SAIS Title IV FAFSA code, which is E00474.

What is the deadline to apply for financial aid?
Applications received by the February 1st application deadline will be given first priority for all available funds.

Does the Hopkins-Nanjing Center provide fellowships?
The Hopkins-Nanjing Center has a financial aid budget to help support students who have both financial need and academic merit. The goal is to make the Center affordable to students with the qualifications to contribute to and benefit from the academic programs in Nanjing. Partial scholarships are available to incoming students that cover differing levels of need. In 2013-2014, all students who completed the FAFSA and HNC Application for Financial Assistance by the deadline received financial aid of some kind.

How much financial aid is available?
Fellowships range in amount, with the highest amounts covering about half of tuition. Most students finance their time at the Center with a combination of fellowships, loans, and their own resources.

Can I use federal loans at the Hopkins-Nanjing Center?
Federal direct loans are available to U.S. students who demonstrate need as calculated by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Loans are handled through the Department of Education Direct Lending program in which loan money is dispersed directly to the university without banks or guaranteeing agencies. Loan amounts will show on the bill as a credit and refunds are processed by the SAIS D.C. billing office within a month of the beginning of classes, assuming all paperwork is complete.

Are there outside resources available?
There are many organizations that can provide funding for your studies. We encourage you to look for additional funding. You should, however, begin applying for these fellowships as soon as possible because many organizations require that you apply months in advance of attending graduate school. For a list of some of these organizations, please
see the section on Outside Resources on the Tuition and Financial Aid page of this blog

How do I use Veteran’s Benefits at the Hopkins-Nanjing Center?  
All students who would like to use Veteran's Benefits need to contact John Bates in the SAIS registrar's office, even if they have used them in the past. For more detailed information, please contact the SAIS Registrar's Office.