Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Obtaining a Chinese Visa and Residence Permit

Incoming Hopkins-Nanjing Center students are responsible for procuring their own student (“X”) or tourist (“L”) visa through the nearest Chinese embassy or consulate.  If you cannot visit the embassy or consulate in person, you may hire a travel agent or visa agent to obtain your visa for you.  Be sure to apply for your visa at least one month, but no more than 90 days before your date of departure from your home country.

Students who indicated on their pre-departure forms their intent to apply for a student visa will be sent the appropriate documentation (a JW202 form and invitation letter from Nanjing University) before the end of June.  Students who listed a summer address in Asia will receive these documents directly from the Hopkins-Nanjing Center.  All other students will receive a package from the HNC Washington Support Office.


Due to time regulations with the student visa, all students arriving in China more than 30 days before orientation week in order to travel prior to the start of the semester must apply for a tourist visa.  For most students in this situation, a 60 or 90-day tourist visa will be appropriate. 

After you arrive in Nanjing, the Center will help you to submit a residence permit application to the Public Security Bureau.  The residence permit, a visa-like page in your passport, allows you to reside in China for as long as the permit is valid and to exit and reenter the country as often as you want, without requiring any additional paperwork or visa expense.  Residence permits sponsored by the Center will be valid until August 2014 for certificate students and August 2015 for master’s students. 

Regulations and Policies:
Physical Exams for Master’s Students:
Because MAIS students are enrolling in a two-year program, they must complete a medical exam before applying for the residence permit.  The exam will be done during orientation week upon your arrival at the Center. However, if you have, or suspect you have any serious health problems, you should see your health-care provider in your home country to consult with them about the best way to handle your issues while in China. 

Physical Exams for Certificate Students:
Students in the Certificate program are not required to submit medical examination results in order to obtain residence permits, unless they have been living/studying in China prior to coming to the Center, and will have lived in China for 365 days or longer when the program concludes on graduation day, June 13, 2014.

For more detailed information and step-by-step instructions, please see your orientation handbook or contact us.