Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Alumnus Profile: Manuel Pena

Manuel Pena
HNC MAIS '12

Hometown: 
Naples, FL

Undergraduate Institution and Major:
University of Alabama, B.A. in Economics

Favorite course at the Center:
International Political Economics with Shu Jianzhong

Why did you choose the Hopkins-Nanjing Center?
I had always wanted to formally study international relations, and knew that I wanted to return to China after graduating from college. The Center was the only school capable of providing me the type of education that I wanted. I didn't consider any other program.

What are you doing now?
I'm a business analyst for a nuclear consulting company in Shanghai.

How did the HNC prepare you for your job?
The Center enabled me to work confidently in a Chinese-speaking professional environment. I never feel intimidated speaking or reading Chinese anymore.  The Center also helped me to grasp how the Chinese approach and resolve problems, which I would argue is as invaluable as the language skills I developed there.