Thursday, March 28, 2013

Frequently Asked Questions from Admitted Students

Thank you to the admitted students who joined our online chat this morning!  It was a great chat and we enjoyed getting to know you.  For those who missed the chat, we will be sending out a transcript of the conversation by early next week so check your emails!  A second online chat for admitted students will be held in mid-April.  Below we have also answered some frequently asked questions from admitted students:

Question: Should I have received information about my financial aid award by now?
Answer: YES.  Admitted students who applied for aid should have received an email from the Office of Financial Aid at Johns Hopkins SAIS on March 5th.  A number of students have reported not receiving this email because it turned up in their SPAM folder.  Please check your spam folder and also your secondary email account if you indicated two email addresses on your application for admission.  If you still have not received this email, please contact the SAIS Office of Financial Aid at 202.663.5706 or  We definitely want students to see their financial information so they can make informed decisions.  Please feel free to contact our office if you have problems and we'd be happy to help in any way we can!

Question: My ISIS account indicated that I am missing documents so I cannot see the federal loans for which I'm eligible.  Where can I find these forms?
Answer: Most students who receive this message are missing the Statement of Non-Filing or the Financial Aid Agreement.  You can find these forms as well as the 2013-2014 GradPlus Loans Request Form at the SAIS Financial Aid website:  If you have any questions about fulfilling these missing requirements, please contact

Question: When do I need to inform your office of my decision to attend the HNC?
Answer: Reply forms are due by April 21.  The $500 matriculation fee can be paid by check made out to The Johns Hopkins University or by submitting the credit card authorization form that was emailed to you with your reply forms.  Please email if you need additional copies of your reply forms or credit card authorization form.  We ask that you submit these forms by April 21 even if you plan to decline your offer of admission.

Question: What is the process for getting a Chinese visa?
Answer: We will email pre-departure forms and an orientation packet in early May to all students who confirm their enrollment by April 21.  This orientation packet will cover the visa process and also includes information on vaccinations, what to pack, how to mail items to the Center, etc.  Once we have received your completed pre-departure forms, Nanjing University will process the documents needed for a student visa.  You will receive these documents in June so that you have time to apply for a student visa before check-in on September 7 and 8.

Question: When will I find out who my roommate is?
Answer: A roommate preference form will be included in your pre-departure forms sent in early May.  This will allow you to indicate your hobbies, sleep habits, and level of cleanliness.  The admissions process for the Chinese students is later in the year than ours so you will meet your roommate upon arrival at the Center.

Question: Can I see the class list for fall 2013?
Answer: Fall classes are still being finalized but email us at for a list of the courses that are being offered this year.  Over the summer enrolling students will be sent a list of the classes that will be offered this fall and will have the opportunity to pre-register.

We hope this helps answer some of your questions but please do not hesitate to contact us at with any additional questions!