Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Introducing the Fall 2022 HNC Banwei

At the HNC, students gather every semester to elect the banwei (班委), a committee of four current students nominated to represent their classmates. In their position as banwei members, these students help facilitate communication between the student community and the staff and organize community-building events. I had the opportunity to speak with our newly elected banwei members about their hopes for the semester and their futures.


Lü Yiyang吕一阳 (Maggie)


Maggie (Certificate ’23) is originally from Nanjing. Before attending the HNC, she studied civil engineering at Carnegie Mellon University in the U.S. for her undergraduate studies, and then graduated in 2022 from Queensland University in Australia with an MA in tourism and event management. 

Why did you apply to the HNC and what do you hope to do after you graduate?

I am still considering many options for my future career path, either working with international organizations and NGOs. I believe the HNC is a great platform for forming more connections in this field and meeting with people who have a lot of experience and knowledge in this area. I also wanted to have a group of friends and alumni connections in China, after studying abroad for my undergraduate and postgraduate studies.

What motivated you to run for the banwei?

I think my personality and background are well suited for this role. I am always very excited to plan and host activities for my peers. During my undergraduate studies I was the dance director for my dance club, meaning I was in charge of all the performances, rehearsals and showcases. Additionally, being a banwei member is a great way to get to know everyone.

What are you hoping to achieve during this semester as a banwei member, especially given the current circumstances? 

I definitely want to help on-campus students engage more and give them a better sense of community. I have been trying really hard to encourage people to spend time together, be it getting food together or playing board games for an evening. These casual activities and meetings are wonderful ways for people to get to know each other. 

What transferable skills do you think you will take away from your banwei experience?

I think being a banwei member really helps perfect my organizational and interpersonal communication skills. As a member, I not only interact and communicate with students, but also with the administration. This is a great way to practice efficient communication, which is always important in the work place. Additionally, there are also many opportunities to develop my creative thinking skills while organizing events and activities for students to participate in. For example, some professors and staff members, have suggested I run a café to help raise funds for more activities. I had never considered that before and really hope to get that going this semester!


Max Hahn (韩幕才)


Max (MAIS ’23) is originally from New Jersey and is a current second-year student at the HNC. He is writing his thesis on cross-strait relations between Taiwan and Mainland China with a focus on Chinese and US rhetoric and policy on Taiwan. He completed his undergraduate studies at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbour, during which he studied abroad in Nanjing.


Why did you apply to the HNC and what do you hope to do after you graduate?

I originally applied to the HNC because I knew I wanted to pursue a career in international relations, be it in the government, the State Department, or the private sector, with a primary focus on US-China relations. Even though I looked at other programs in China, I found that there was no better place to pursue my interests than the HNC and it seemed like the most natural way forward from my undergraduate studies. I am not sure yet what specific jobs I would like to apply for. I plan on applying to the State Department and other positions in government, and for private sector companies or agencies that work in political risk or government relations. My main goal is to keep working on researching China.

What motivated you to run for the banwei?

My main motivation is that I believe I have a spirit that would be useful to the banwei position. I tend to get along with everyone and am always willing to listen to most ideas even if I don’t necessarily agree. I also got along well with the Chinese students last year while taking classes online and would often spontaneously reach out to have chats and connect with them. I believe I can apply that spirit as a member of banwei and help people connect and make friends.

What are you hoping to achieve during this semester as a banwei member, especially given the current circumstances? 

I am preparing a language partner form that I will send out to those interested in finding a partner to practice their target language with. I think this is also a great way for people to make friends through one-on-one interactions, especially for those that might feel shy in larger-scale social situations. I hope to create conditions where people can socialize and network more so we can all learn more about and from each other.

What transferable skills do you think you will take away from your banwei experience?

I think the banwei position will help me improve my basic communication skills. This position is also quite similar to a job, but unlike a job, the banwei position helps me boost my confidence in a professional setting. In this sense, addition to leaving a positive impact on the student community, I believe this position can benefit me as well.


Jacqualine Asuquo (杨可琳)


Jacqualine (MAIS ’24) is originally from Maryland, and currently resides in DC. She graduated in 2020 from the University of Maryland with a BA in Chinese.

Why did you apply to the HNC and what do you hope to do after you graduate?

I applied because I was very enticed by the uniqueness of the MAIS program and the HNC as an institution. There is something very special about being able to study international relations in a bilingual environment, that is different from studying directly in a university in China. As a joint, collaborative venture, the HNC really struck me as an ideal place to study international relations. 

What motivated you to run for the banwei?

I attach a lot of importance to the feeling of community, especially in a school setting. By running for banwei I wanted to help create a community that helps others and myself feel like we belong to one and can engage with it. I was excited to run for banwei as a way to enhance my student experience. 

What are you hoping to achieve during this semester as a banwei membr, especially given the current circumstances? 

There are pockets of students all over the world currently. Due to this situation, my focus is to really work on creating virtual activities for everyone to participate in and create opportunities for students to meet. I am hoping to organize an online open mic night, for students to share their talents, such as singing or reciting a poem. We have also organized an online mixer and we are working on an upcoming virtual dinner.

What transferable skills do you think you will take away from your banwei experience?

I will develop my leadership skills in this role because I not only need to coordinate with students but also with members of staff on the feasibility and logistics of events. Organizational skills are also important, because I have to consider the different time zones and work out times that are the fairest for everyone, for example by rotating between time zones. Lastly, creative thinking is also very useful in this position, because I have to think of cross-cultural activities that students will appreciate and engage in.


Li Yang 李洋 (Marco)


Marco (Certificate ’23) is originally from Huainan, Anhui and currently resides in Shenzhen. Before attending the HNC, Marco received an MA in computer science at Peking University in 2021. His field of study includes economics and international relations, and he is looking forward to making the most of his experience as part of the HNC’s vibrant community, while preparing for his next steps for the future. 

Why did you apply to the HNC and what do you hope to do after you graduate?

I applied to the HNC to build a background in economics and international relations and apply for a PhD in economics in the U.S. Other than advance my academic abilities, I also applied to the HNC to grow as a person and develop new skills.

What motivated you to run for banwei?

Throughout my academic life, I have always been class representative (banzhang 班长), be it during my undergraduate or postgraduate studies. I have always greatly enjoyed being in this role, because it suits me well and gives me the opportunity to organize events, work with classmates, and serve the community. I also believe the role of banwei can help me strengthen my core values such as responsibility and trustworthiness.

What are you hoping to achieve during this semester as banwei, especially given the current circumstances? 

When I came to the HNC, I felt the Center’s strong cross-cultural identity, and immediately felt like I could connect people in this environment. I hope to make this community more cohesive and meaningful. I plan on organizing more events that bridge the HNC, DC, and Bologna campuses. These events could include online conferences, discussions and debates that can serve as an official platform for students from all three campuses to connect.

What transferable skills do you think you will take away from your banwei experience?

I have already acquired technical skills in computer science and programming, but in my role as banwei member, I plan to further develop my interpersonal and leadership skills. I believe I hope to improve my skills in managing people and responsibilities as a banwei member and eventually use them in my career. 

Written by Sophia Pradels, MAIS '24