Thursday, October 10, 2024

Having a Peanut Allergy in China

When I first became interested in studying abroad in China, I was not thinking about the practical side of my daily life. In the United States nut allergies are very common and restaurants typically do not use peanut oil or are specific about allergens on their menus. In China; however, this is not always the case. I have a peanut allergy, which impacts how I can go out and consume food in China. However, though my allergy is something I now have to think about in my daily life here, it is manageable with a few tricks. This week's blog explores some useful considerations to staying safe with allergies. 

1.                  Know how to say your allergen correctly! 

The Mandarin characters for peanut are 花生 [huā shēng] and to express my allergy I say “我对花生过敏.[wǒ duì huāshēng guòmǐn]” You can say “我对[insert allergen]过敏.” Make sure you are pronouncing this correctly and get the attention of your server or food seller and get acknowledgement that they have heard you. Some people also have a card they carry around with them which state their allergies in writing so they can show the server in case of communication or pronunciation issues. 

2.                  Clearly advocate for yourself!  and get
                                ~SPECIFIC


Sometimes in China allergies are not taken very seriously, as people might believe that you do not like the food. As someone with a severe allergy, I always want to make sure I am taken seriously. I will emphasize to the server that if I eat a peanut, I will go to the hospital “如果我吃花生[allergy],我就会去医院. [rúguǒ wǒ chī huāshēng, wǒ jiù huì qù yīyuàn]” This may not necessarily be the case for me all the time, but I want to make sure that my server understands that this is not a food I do not like, it is one I cannot have. Additionally, I will clarify about the oil that is used. I will ask if there is any peanut oil in the food and will further clarify by asking what oil is used to ensure I know what I am eating. You can say “这菜有没有花生[allergen]油?你用什么油? [zhè cài yǒu méiyǒu huāshēngyóu? nǐ yòng shénme yóu?

3.                  If you don’t know, don’t eat it! 

There are many times when I am extremely hungry or a friend offers me a snack, like a mooncake, and I just want to have it. However, if I cannot get clarification on my allergen, I refrain from trying the food/snack. It is better to be safe than sorry, and there are so many other safe foods to try. Be patient with yourself, and do not be afraid to speak up and ask for something else if the food in front of you does not feel safe. 

4.                  Check the ingredients list when purchasing snacks. 

It is very important to check the allergen information before you purchase snacks. Every Chinese food package has an ingredients list and allergen information [过敏源信息][guòmǐn yuán xìnxī]. Know the characters of your allergen so you can easily find it. If the allergen is not listed, it should be safe to eat. The package may also describe, as in the US, whether the product was made on equipment that is also used to make items with the allergen. Use your discretion here.

 5.                  Be aware of cross contamination at restaurants. 


If cross contamination is a big issue for you, make sure to ask if your food is being made in the same pan that has the food with the allergen. Especially check this if the restaurant says they also use the allergen in other foods they serve. If you are sharing food (like hot pot) with friends, be sure to let them know about your allergy and have utensils that are specifically used for the food you are eating. Sometimes people will use their chopsticks for multiple dishes, which causes cross-contamination. 

6.                  Tell your friends about your allergy! 

We look out for one another at the HNC, and it is very important to let people know that you have an allergy, especially if it is severe. Don’t be afraid to speak up and make sure your voice is heard! It’s much better to be open about it, even if it is a bit annoying, than to have your friend suddenly not know what to do if you have an allergy attack.  



Written by Hannah Bases MAIS'26