Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Meet the Hopkins-Nanjing Center’s Fall 2021 Student Committee

The semester may have started unconventionally, with HNC students taking classes from all over the world. However, one tradition remains this fall: The selection of the student committee. Every semester, the HNC invites its students to select four of their classmates as the HNC student committee representatives. The student committee, also known as the “banwei” 班委, are responsible for connecting students with the HNC staff, as well as with each other. They host activities to help students interact socially and aid each other academically.  

This semester more than ever, the banwei have tasked themselves with planning events focused on giving students opportunities to socialize with each other. Due to travel restrictions in China, many students are not able to come to Nanjing and live together at the HNC campus. Fortunately, the banwei have been very active and creative in approaching their duties. 

Let’s get to know the new banwei! 


 

 (From left to right: Christian Slavin, Rebecca Ash-Cervantes, Li Xiaoyang, Qie Jingran) 


Chris Slavin (白旻 

I was born in a little town in Idaho and travelled to Taiwan as a Rotary Youth Exchange student during my undergraduate years. I’m currently a Certificate student at the HNC. Before the HNC, I earned a dual bachelor's degree in international business, with minors in Chinese and Japanese, from the University of Montana. In my free time, I enjoy reading, orienteering, cooking, and playing piano. 

Rebecca Ash-Cervantes (安貅一) 

I’m currently living in California. I started learning Chinese in college and I have been studying it for seven years. In 2014 I went to China, which led me to change my major to Chinese, and I have been traveling back and forth every other year. I am a first year SAIS-Bologna student, with an interest in migration, which is why I decided to spend my first year taking courses at the HNC. 


Li Xiaoyang (李晓阳) 

I am from Weifang, Shandong, which is known as the city of kites. I received my undergraduate degree from Shandong University. My major has always been International Politics. I applied to the HNC for their MA program, and I am now a 2nd year MA student majoring in politics. 


Qie Jingran (郄景然) 

I am a Certificate student at the HNC. I graduated from Nanjing University with a major in biological science and finance. Since I’m also interested in international relations, I thought it would only make sense for me to apply to the HNC. 


 

Why did you decide to sign up as a banwei? 


Xiaoyang: Although we cannot all be in Nanjing this semester, I believe HNC should still be an international community. So, as a banwei, I would like to help us all connect and better our community. Second, I really want to make more friends in the HNC. As banwei, I will have more opportunities to connect with people. I also want to help students get closer with each other as a group. I want us to exchange cultures and become a kind of representation of public diplomacy 公共外交 (gong gong waijiao) .


Jingran: Because I spent my undergraduate years in Nanjing University, I am familiar with campus activities. I think it only makes sense for me to try this position and help everyone find and enjoy these activities. As a banwei, I want to help my classmates familiarize themselves with Nanjing, the university, and activities that are available for them. 


What have the banwei been working on so far? 


Rebecca: I’ve done a lot of notes organizing for our meetings so far. It’s been fun and interesting talking with our Chinese counterparts. One thing that we set up back in September was the language partner program. We are also planning on doing Holiday-themed movie nights through Zoom. 


Xiaoyang: First, we have started the language partner program where we matched students to become each other’s language partners. In addition, we have come up with potential activities that we can do in-person when the Hopkins-Nanjing Center reopens. Personally, I want to plan activities that resemble traditional HNC activities, such as a costume party for Halloween and a Christmas dinner. I also want to celebrate Chinese traditional holidays and events, such as the Winter Solstice, with international students. 


Due to our current situation, most students are only able to meet each other virtually. How do you  plan to  connect with your classmates and each other? 


Jingran: Due to Covid, many students can’t meet on campus. We plan to protect the culture that HNC is known for, or 特色 (tese),  through programs and activities via Zoom. 


Chris: For me, an important part [of socializing] is being able to talk to people face to face. So, to start with, whenever I attend HNC events and classes, I always try to turn my camera on and identify each of the students by their face. 


Xiaoyang: The biggest problem is that many events require us to be in Nanjing. For example, going to Nanjing’s city wall. There are a few students who have been able to move to Nanjing. We are using this opportunity to have small gatherings with students who were able to get back to campus. For example, we play card games and have meals in small groups. 


Rebecca: I think the Chinese students have not had to adapt to using Zoom to socialize as much as the other international students. I want to be transparent with them that we (international students) may not be in China for a while, to encourage more participation in online social events. To solve this issue, we have considered dividing social activities based on three considerations: Zoom accessibility, time difference, and availability of in-person meetings. Our number one goal this semester, since we are the ones to start the year, is to leave a good precedent. We want to set a precedent so the next set of leadership can continue what we were building. 


Since we did not have a lot of chance to get to know you in-person, what would you like current students to know about you? 


ChrisI like playing piano and listening to music, especially jazz. I have been spending time playing Super Smash with my family members.  


Xiaoyang: First, I think I have a bright personality. I have always liked meeting and talking to many different people. As for my hobby, I like exercising. I'm trying to get into basketball and invite more people to play with me. I also like activities that can relax my mind like hiking or chatting in a café. 


Jingran: Although my previous major is related to life science, like biology, I’m also very interested in economics and have participated in activities to learn about Chinese economies in the past. So, if anyone has any questions or the same interests, you are welcome to talk to me!