Monday, May 20, 2024

Student Profiles: Paths To and Through the HNC

The Hopkins-Nanjing Center (HNC) is a unique academic community where students with diverse interests converge, united by a shared focus on US-China relations. Below, students Alec Nash, Yan Manshu, and Wyatt Crooks share their paths at the HNC, individual passions, and multifaceted experiences in international relations.

Also, be sure to check out last semester's student profiles.

Alec Nash 亚历山大
MAIS '24
Concentration: International Economics
Hometown: Atlanta, Georgia
Undergraduate Institution: Emory University 

Yan Manshu 严曼舒
HNC Certificate '24
Hometown: Nanjing, China

Wyatt Crooks 康沃业
HNC Certificate + MAIR '25
Concentration: Governance, Politics, and Society
Hometown: Charlotte, North Carolina
Undergraduate Institution: North Carolina State University

Tell us about your background, how you became interested in China, and what led you to the HNC.

Alec Nash
Alec: During my undergraduate years at Emory University I studied international relations. At the time, China was a major growing force in the field, and I wanted to learn more. In 2015, I decided to study abroad at Nanjing University and loved it. Coincidentally, my dorm was right next to the HNC. I enjoyed the pace of life in the Nanjing University neighborhood and how livable and accessible China was. After graduating in 2016, I worked in the US education sector for a few years, then lived in Beijing  to work with high school students applying to US, UK, and Canadian universities. Since I still wanted to pursue an international relations master's degree, I applied to the MAIS program at the HNC with a concentration in international economics.

Wyatt: I first became interested in China when I was in middle school because my mom participated in a summer teaching program at a middle school connected to Nanjing Normal University. After that summer, she came back and told me all about it, sharing tons of pictures which made me very interested in China. My middle school offered Chinese classes, so I took those and then continued studying in high school. While I didn’t originally plan to focus on China or do a foreign language major in college, I later decided to add Mandarin to my history degree.

I chose the HNC because it is one of the best opportunities for American graduate students to study in China. I also chose it due to its location in Nanjing, versus say Shanghai or Beijing, as it does not have a massive city feel. Nanjing is a bit more traditional and has tons of cultural and historical significance. Spots like the Sun Yat-Sen Mausoleum and the fact that Nanjing is the former capital of China are meaningful to me as someone who studied history, so it seemed like the perfect place.

Manshu: I studied abroad in Denmark and was an exchange student in the Netherlands, spending quite a few years in Europe. I love traveling and adventure, and I am very independent, having traveled alone to over 30 countries, including multiple visits to the U.S. As someone who enjoys diverse cultures, the multifaceted and diverse nature of the U.S. deeply attracted me.

My previous job at an American company provided me with extensive experience in international business. I chose the HNC because I wanted to deepen my understanding of global affairs from a Sino-American perspective. I also recognize the significant impact of US-China relations on business. Furthermore, the HNC's academic excellence and its focus on fostering US-China relations perfectly align with my career aspirations.

What were you doing before joining the Hopkins-Nanjing Center?

Wyatt Crooks
Manshu: After returning to China from my studies abroad, I joined a Fortune 500 American company as a management trainee. During my time there, I worked closely with colleagues, partners, and clients from the US whose work styles and corporate spirit greatly influenced me.

Wyatt: I studied in Taiwan in the summer of 2022 for three months. That was the first time I was able to study abroad. Originally I was planning to go to Beijing and do a summer language program, but because of Covid that didn’t happen. I then spent the next couple of years trying in vain to go to mainland China or Taiwan, so I was very excited to finally do that in 2022. Around the time I graduated, a former professor talked to me about the HNC and I knew it would be a perfect opportunity to finally study in China.

How was your experience adjusting to the Chinese/English coursework? Do you have any tips for future students?

Yan Manshu

Manshu: Although my previous experiences studying abroad were in English, mastering academic English in unfamiliar fields was still challenging. I often watched related movies or documentaries to help me understand the material. For future students, I recommend actively participating in class discussions, expressing your ideas bravely, and fully utilizing academic resources, such as journals and faculty exchanges, to enhance your language skills and academic understanding.

Wyatt: It was pretty tough at first. Jumping from a Chinese language course where you’re working on material that is specifically made for learning the language to reading research articles is pretty daunting. Before arriving at the HNC, practice consuming Chinese media and research articles. It will definitely help with the shock aspect. Doing this sort of thing, you definitely have to take it slow. You sometimes have to go word for word in the readings, even if your Chinese is good, especially since academic language can be different from spoken Chinese. However, even after just a semester, I feel like I’ve got the hang of it and am now able to recognize lots of the jargon.

What has been one of your favorite experiences at the Hopkins-Nanjing Center so far?

Alec: The attitude of the HNC once the border re-opened in spring 2023 was very exciting. There was a newfound joy to see classmates arriving back. It was great to meet people in person after seeing them in Zoom classes after a year. For a while, we had heard news about how few Americans were in China at the time, so it felt exciting to turn things around with the HNC campus and China overall becoming lively again.

Wyatt: The Halloween party was a blast. I wore an inflatable dinosaur costume and I didn’t expect to be in the top three of the costume contest. The HNC community loves the famed Halloween party, so everyone dressed up well for the costume contest and the scary maze was... scary fun. These types of events have allowed us to interact with each other and create better relations between Chinese and international students. This is something unique that the HNC provides that you cannot find elsewhere.

Manshu: I thoroughly enjoy the various lectures, discussion sessions, and social events at HNC. These activities allow me to engage deeply with students from diverse nationalities and backgrounds, as well as experience different cultures, enriching my academic life and broadening my international perspective.

What extracurricular activities are you involved in?

Wyatt: One group that I’ve been part of this year has been the Dungeons and Dragons group. It feels like a typical D&D group you’d have back in the States. Since English is quite complex in D&D, we have one brave Chinese student who's joined us on our quest. Altogether, it’s been a lot of fun, and I really appreciate the dungeon masters creating a fun environment despite having busy schedules.

Manshu: At HNC, I joined the erhu interest class, where I have been able to learn how to play this ancient musical instrument. HNC offers a rich variety of interest groups ranging from chess to sports to musical instruments, which has greatly enriched my extracurricular life.

What is your favorite HNC tradition?

Manshu: My favorite tradition at HNC is the field trips organized for class or extracurricular interests. These not only foster interactions among students but also deepen our understanding of the coursework through practical experiences interacting with other cultures.

Wyatt: I really enjoyed the Christmas Eve Party with all the students, faculty, and staff. I remember American Co-Director Adam Webb’s speech. He talked about how even though the academic calendar is different in China, our celebration brought about the togetherness of spending Christmas in China. The Secret Santa and casual gift-giving really went a long way to create the same kind of Christmas spirit that you have back in the US.

What is your favorite thing about Nanjing?

Wyatt Crooks
Wyatt: My favorite thing about Nanjing is all of the historical sites and the museums, like the Sun Yat-Sen Mausoleum, the Ming tombs, and the Nanjing Massacre Memorial. It always feels morbid saying it, but these things give you a sense of the deep, painful, and fascinating history present in Nanjing.

Manshu: Nanjing is my hometown. I particularly love its combination of deep historical significance and modern vibrancy. Additionally, the local cuisine, especially the variety of duck dishes, is noteworthy. There’s a saying, "no duck can leave Nanjing alive," which means that all the ducks are eaten before they are able to leave Nanjing. Therefore, you must experience Nanjing if you like to eat duck!

What do you plan on pursuing after graduation? Where do you see yourself 5-10 years after graduation?

Alec: I am hoping to continue working in China and am looking into the business advisory space. 

Wyatt: I did a lot of cultural and ethnic studies during my undergrad, so I would like to pursue a career with that sort of work in mind, likely with an organization like UNESCO. I would love a role where I can focus on the preservation of history and cultural heritage––a combination of my IR and history backgrounds.

Manshu: I am currently interning at the Royal Danish Consulate in Shanghai. After graduation, I plan to pursue a career in diplomatic service or international policy to promote better international cooperation. In the next 5-10 years, I hope to work in an international organization or governmental agency, contributing to global diplomacy and peace efforts.

What was one of the things you learned during your time at the HNC that transformed your perspective or way of thinking?

Wyatt: The string of conversations I’ve had with my Chinese roommate and Chinese classmates on their perspectives on certain world issues and US-China relations. I think it’s interesting to compare Chinese classmates’ sentiments with people I know back in the US on their attitudes toward US-China relations. Back in the States, there exists an overall pessimistic view. In comparison, there are a lot of Chinese students at the HNC who do not seem pessimistic about the US-China relationship. One of the Chinese students in our Toastmasters interest group actually talked about this in one of his speeches. These conversations reveal how practicing international relations can be improved due to mutual understanding at low and high levels––people-to-people and official-to-official. 

Manshu: My studies at HNC have taught me the importance of understanding the nuances of international relations. The courses and discussions highlighted the complexity of global issues and the necessity for balanced and informed policymaking.

If you could give one piece of advice to future HNC students, what would it be?

Yan Manshu
Alec: Try to take the time to appreciate everything China has to offer. Being here as a student presents far more opportunities than being an employee or even a tourist. The workload at HNC is very high, but you will still have free time. Even if you feel like you’re busy, my recommendation is to get out as much as possible and see as much of the country as you can. Those are the memories that you’ll take with you once you finish the program or return to your home country. 

Wyatt: If you’d like to attend the HNC, and you’re serious about the bilingual aspect, I would say try your hardest to improve your Chinese. This helps not only with classes but also with day-to-day living. Not that your Chinese has to be amazing, but I think the better your language skills are, the more you'll get out of class. All that to say, you will personally get the most out of the program regardless of your language level. As they say, 跟昨天的自己相比,不跟别人相比。

Manshu: I would advise future HNC students to seize every opportunity to engage with and understand different viewpoints to expand their horizons. The diverse academic environment at HNC is an excellent platform for personal and professional growth. Also, make use of the alumni resources; HNC has many outstanding alumni who are very willing to provide guidance and assistance.

Compiled by Savanah Glaves, MAIS '25. Edited by Sam Trizza, Cert+MAIR '25.