Thursday, March 18, 2021

HNC alumna utilizes SAIS studies in objective, data-driven role at Rhodium Group

Lauren Gloudeman, HNC Certificate '12 + SAIS MA '13, is an Associate Director at Rhodium Group’s China Practice, where she 
focuses on China’s trade dynamics and US-China trade policy, its economic reform agenda and implementation, and its macroeconomy and industrial activity. 

How did you become interested in China and end up at the HNC?
I've always loved language study, and during undergrad, I signed up for Chinese language on a whim. I did an intensive summer course in Shanghai and made Chinese language and literature my second major (the first was philosophy) upon my return. After years of bopping back and forth to China, I received a scholarship to study Chinese linguistics at Nanjing University after college, and was living at the dorms next to the HNC, not realizing that the program existed. When I learned about the HNC, I applied and started studying there the following year.

How did your experience at the HNC and SAIS DC together prepare you for your current position?
SAIS provided the right opportunity to apply my China studies and experience in a critical professional field. Getting the SAIS economics education was necessary for my current position (doing China macroeconomics and policy research) and opened China policy job opportunities in Washington, DC. Doing China economics work is inherently in the political economy field, so both the China/international relations and economics foundations proved useful.

What was your journey after SAIS to the position you have now and what experiences have you gained overtime that contribute to your success?
After SAIS, I worked in different US government roles in US-China policy to understand the most important issues in the field, hone my skills, and build my expertise. However, I found that debates around China's economy and trajectory were often too politicized, so I pursued a more objective and data/economics-driven role at Rhodium Group. Gaining insight into different lenses for thinking about China was important to my career.

Do you keep in contact with people that you went to the HNC with?
I do keep in touch with HNC classmatesmany as good friends, and some as contacts in the field.

What advice would you give to current or future HNC students for success at the HNC and after graduation?
I've found that China-focused opportunities are few. I suggest remaining open-minded and adaptable about working in the China economics/policy field, and building additional skillsets or topical/industry expertise to complement China experience/education.

Interview conducted by Brandy Darling, HNC Certificate '20 + SAIS MA '21